Ceramics 

The Ceramics Workshop only existed during the Weimar period. Located 30 km (18 miles) away from the Bauhaus in the little town of Dornburg, it was still being set up when Bogler started his training there together with Otto Lindig in 1920. Lindig’s work in particular shows an engagement with sculptural form that is typical for this early period. Max Krehan trained the students in craft aspects, Gerhard Marcks was responsible for their artistic training and encouraged his students to treat the individual components of the vessels in a free and combinatory way. This delight in experimentation had a formative influence on them; after the workshop was closed in 1925, inspiration from Dornburg continued to influence the potters who had been trained there. The workshop, which only existed for five years, thus became a nucleus for the development of twentieth-century ceramics.

Renovation!

Our museum is under construction. Visit us at the temporary.